Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help
the building of the east wing of the church in 1955-56, a large
new icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help was given the place of
honor behind the altar; it was installed in 1964. The Icon was
painted by Igor Suhacev of Toronto.
Icon is a representation of the original Miraculous icon of Our
Mother of Perpetual Help, which is venerated today at the Church
of St. Alphonsus in Rome. This original is so ancient that it
cannot be said with certainty who painted it. One legend attributes
it to St. Luke.
Byzantine Icon, contains much symbolism, which teaches by means
of a story. Frightened by the vision of two angels showing Him
the instruments of Passion, the Christ Child ran to His Mother,
almost losing, in His haste, one of the tiny sandals. Mary holds
Him in her arms reassuringly and lovingly. But notice her eyes.
They look not at Jesus, but at us, thus signifying her motherly
concern also for us.
little hands are pressed into Mary’s as a reminder to us
that, just as on earth, He placed Himself entirely in her hands
for protection, so now in heaven He has given into Her hands all
graces to distribute to those who ask her.
other symbols used is the star on Our Lady’s veil. She is
the Star of the Sea, who brought the light of Christ to the darkened
world, the star that leads us to the safe port of heaven. The
entire background is golden, symbolic of heaven, and reflecting
upon her clothing, shows the heavenly joy they can bring to tired
golden crown, placed on the original icon by order of the Holy
See in 1867, is a token of the many miracles wrought by Our Lady
invoked under the title of “Our Mother of Perpetual Help”.
Pius IX entrusted this miraculous icon to the Redemptorists with
the instruction: “See to it that Our Mother of Perpetual
Help is made known throughout the world”.
is most fitting that the Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Help
holds the place of honor in St. Mary’s Church in Yorkton,
Sask., a church under the pastoral care of the Ukrainian Catholic